So you go to your favorite Latin/Caribbean restaurant in the local part of town (Inner City) that your tour guide neglected to tell you about, order those flat salty fried potato-like things “Tostones please.” and you love them of course. Then you get those sweet thinly (sometimes) sliced fried bananas “Platanos Maduro please.” and you become found of them also. Now your at the grocery store asking the produce guy for a Tostone or Platano and he shows you this big banana looking thing that is neither name “It’s a plantain” he says. You take it home Google some recipes, put some Latin/Caribbean music on and enjoy an evening filled with new ideas.
But what do you really know about Platanos or Tostones besides they taste good with ketchup.
Plantains are best described as green counterparts of rich, ripe, yellow bananas that are usually low on sugar content than the sugary-sweet banana. Native to Europe and Asia, there is practically no place on the earth, where plantains cannot be found. Almost a common sight in our backyards, the benefits of plantain are just unparalleled. They are usually cooked and consumed and are believed to be potent sources of vitamin A, potassium and fiber. Almost a staple food in the tropical regions, plantain is known to benefit health in more ways than one. An excellent combo of energy, tissue-building elements, minerals and proteins, plantain is richer in solids and lower in water content than most other fresh fruits. Plantains can be stewed, mashed, grilled, fried or plain boiled before consumption. What is more, it can be pounded and mashed to make face packs and stop external bleeding too. To know more on the nutritional value and its many health benefits, read on.
- Plantain has gained an unparalleled status in the world of natural cure and is considered to be the numero uno cure for blood and limb poisoning. It reduces venom caused inflammation and effectively dries excess moisture.
- A well-acclaimed diuretic, plantain is found to be extremely effective against kidney and bladder problems. Plantain tea is known to soothe the bladder and is usually recommended against bed-wetting, dropsy and water retention.
- As a styptic, plantain can be either chomped or grounded into a paste to stop bleeding. Known to have an extremely soothing effect, plantain tea can be consumed to soothe mucous membranes and ulcers. It is also effective against heavy menstrual cycles.
- Plantain is also used as a vulnerary to treat cuts and wounds. Due to easy accessibility of this wonderful fruit, it can be easily bought and crushed and applied to cuts and wounds for quick relief. Also, since plantain has a high epidermal growth, it can be used to fix damaged tissues, treat bruises and broken bones.
- Plantain is touted as a wonderful blood cleanser. It is also an effective cure against venomous snake bites and scorpion stings. Plantain is also an excellent cure for treating bug bites, eczema and other skin irritations. It also helps to reduce the pain of poison ivy.
- Plantain, much like its yellow ripe counterpart, is extremely good for skin. Plantain juice can be effectively used to treat sunburn, ulcers, scalds and burns. It is treated as an effective substitute for aloe vera.
- Plantain has been used for long to treat diseases like tuberculosis and syphilis, both internally and externally. It is very effective for treating liver sluggishness and inflammation of the digestive tract too. Plantain is also used for scrofula, mercurial poisoning and other specific or non-specific glandular diseases.
- Chewing plantain root can offer immediate relief from toothache. Its decoction can be used on ringworm too. What is more, this miraculous herb is believed to help with loss of voice too.
- Plantain is known to soothe cough reflex and is used to treat asthma, lung infections, and hay fever and any other respiratory disorder that involves mucous congestion. It is known to provide relief from hoarseness and bronchial infections too. It is also used for respiratory problems that involve mucous congestion
- Plantain tea is known to be excellent cure for gastritis, diarrhea, dysentery, irritable bowel syndrome and other intestinal problems. It is also good for the eyes and is known to sooth eye irritation.
For more info visit: http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/health-benefits-of-plantain-9545.html